Sunday, January 7, 2007

Ode to the Singlespeed

First, I confess that for many years I have underrated the fringe niche of singlespeeding. I didn't really see the point. I mean, why ride an inferior bike when you have a bike in the garage that is faster, easier to ride, and can handle a greater range of terrain?!? It is illogical. Why would you purposely use antiquated technology. It would be as if I were using a typewriter to write this! Don't misunderstand me, I had no problem with people who rode them. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think people like Pat D. are amazing. That guy has passed me with one gear on more than a few occasions. Why do it on a single speed though!...However, all that has changed.

About a month and a half ago I bought my first single speed mountain bike (fully rigid). I thought I would give it a try because I saw some training benefits from it. It forces you to work on your pedaling by making you either grind up hills with quad searing strength or roll downhills at rpm's that make your legs look like a blur. The training benefit, however functional, is still the boring part of singlespeeding.

After doing the majority of my rides in the last while on a singlespeed I've discovered other great things about riding a single speed. For one thing, the off-season in Calgary means that training is often done in snow, slush and cold tempuratures. All of which wreak havoc on a drivetrain. It is a great feeling to pull the bike out of the garage and not worry about it at all. No mis-shifts or skipping cassette. If you slip out on the ice there is no derailluer to bend out of shape... That is good but not the best part.

The part that has pleasantly surprised me the most is that riding with one gear and a rigid fork has turned the singletrack at Edworthy Park into a new technical challenge and the hills at Nosehill into giant mountains. In other words, it is no less fun to ride but I experience the challenge of riding a bike at my limit of skill right outside my door. A hill that was inconsequential is now a test of power and cleaning a few roots and a little drop off is now a demonstration of technical prowess... Simple is sweet!

You won't see me at any races this year on a single speed (I'll leave that to team WUSS). I'm not going all Luddite on everyone (not that there is anything wrong with that). Afterall, if I follow the line of logic that riding inferior technology equals more challenge equals more fun then I might as well ride a cyclocross bike! In fact, I'm anticipating a super trick Giant Anthem Advanced... Technology is sweet!

Have fun on the roads and trails whatever bike you are riding.

No comments: