Saturday, June 30, 2007

Alberta Provincial Championships

Another Provincial Championships has come and gone. As always United Cycle did a good job of organizing and hosting it. It took place in Terwillegar Park which has a reputation of fast and non-technical courses but in the last couple of years course designers seem to have picked out a few singletrack gems and incorporated them into the provincials course. This year was the same as last years with the exception of they took out a sweet singletrack called "Dave's trail" and took out a short steep climb that preceded the long, gradual climb. Today the course was a touch muddy due to the rain last night but wasn't bad other than the chronically muddy downhill mid lap. It was, however, muddy enough that before the race there was some question as to whether they were going to delete "firemen's hill" (the most technical section) from the course as they did earlier in the morning with the sport race. Much to my pleasent surprise, they left it in.

There was a large field for the Elite category (considering it's Alberta). There were just under 20 riders I believe. With defending champion Tim Heemskirk not present (presumably at the world cup in QB) the title was up for grabs and there were quite a few potential racers.

When the start was signalled Evan Sherman went off like a madman! I wanted to be relatively close to the front so I grabbed his wheel and went for the draft since the starting prologue is so exposed to wind. Cam Mcknight snuck in front of me and in the line change I had to make I lost the draft so as the trail widened after the first turn the top 5 or 6 places began shuffling but not for Evan. He was on a mission. He started in first would go on to finish in first but was never too far ahead to be caught.

After the prologue when the first lap began in earnest positions were still juggling around. At one point I was about in seventh and all positions from second to tenth were sorting themselves out. People in this group were Shawn Bunnin, Marc Bomhoff, Cam Mcknight, Dallas Morris, Chris McNeil, Mike Sarnecki, Brian Bain and Ryan Hopping. As the lap wore on, I worked my way to a group of two chasers, Shawn and Mike, with Evan in sight. Shawn proved to be too strong on the flats and eventually gapped Mike and I. Mike rode fantastically for the first half of the race making me hurt on the straight flats. For a brief moment Chris McNeil made an attack on the gradual climb which put him in third for a second or two before I counter attacked and dropped him on the "fireman's hill" downhill. Dallas made his mark on me when he caught me mid second or third lap and began trash talking me from behind but never passed only to be dropped on the muddy switchback downhill. Ahhhh... sweet satisfaction. From that point on I rode in third until about the 5th lap where from out of nowhere a Bicisport kit blows by me saying "your doing great!" It was none other than Corey Wallace who finishes races faster than most people start them! He made me look parked and I only saw him again at the bottom of the "fireman's downhill" where I made a bit of time on him but he was pretty distant. In the end I could only manage 4th and Corey could never quite catch Shawn.

This years Championship podium had Evan on top the the two Bici boys Shawn and Corey on the sides. Great work boys. Especially Shawn, he really had a fantastic race.

As a tangent story, I'll mention that I had really bad brake problems. I've had problems with my front brake lately so I bled it earlier this week and it seemed to be fine but last night on my pre-ride I lost 100% of my braking on the front. This morning, before the race I rushed to United Cycle where I was given quick help and they immediately bled my brake and and checked it for leaks because there was some fluid residue on the caliper and lever. Nothin seemed to leak even when you reefed on the lever. So, I thought it was fine but sure enough as I finish my warm up I start feeling the break lose pressure. I started the race thinking I might have to DNF if I lose all my braking. By the time I started my second lap I had about 10% of the breaking power you'd expect from XTR's and by the last lap the lever was to the grip at about5%. I thought about DNF'ing but thought as long as I'm still doing well and making time on the downhills (amazingly enough!) there is no good reason to quit. I'm going to have to do something about this soon.

Congrats to all the racers. Great job.

1 comment:

tori said...

dude, you're waaaaay past due for another post.