Saturday, April 28, 2007

ABA Cup #1 Lethbridge Coulee Cruiser

Well, it was a close race. Too close for comfort... Unbeknownst to many who just showed up to watch or race a mtb race, there was another race going on. The race for the longest hair in the men's Elite category! With the absence of Andre Sutton, I thought I would be a shoe in but, in true competitive fashion, Roddi Leg brought his "A" game. It was too close to call so a rematch will occur on May 13th in Edmonton at the ABA #2.

Now, in the mountain bike racing I didn't get a tie for 1st. I got 6th actually which is a little bit worse than what I was hoping for but all in all I am extremely happy with how I raced. I stayed strong and raced my race. I was just lacking a bit in my high-end anaerobic fitness (plus, maybe a bit tired from 26 hours of riding in Moab that week and the 15 hour drive). Not that I am trying to make excuses. This week has been good for causing me to overreach in my volume and intensity. Hopefully I recover strong and quickly.

Thank you to the Headwinds Cycling Club for organizing and putting on the event. As always, they did a superb job of putting on a race. The course was the typical coulee style riding that Lethbridge has some of the best of but was extremely difficult (I always find this course difficult but this year was borderline masochistic) . Only 2 riders (to my knowledge) rode the whole course every lap. There were extremely steep hills that were causing everyone to get very friendly with their granny gear (except the few that chose to race a single speed). Good job to everyone that raced!

A special congrats to Mical (super woman) who won the elite women's race and the top 3 elite men, Roddi Lega (flying this year), Dallas Morris (always strong and bringing his "A" game to races), and Brian Bain (first elite podium, AWESOME JOB!).

Cheers to everyone!

Pictures will hopefully be up soon.

No comments: